Sunday, January 14, 2018

ENDLESS NIGHT OF THE LONG KNIVES

Mark Steyn:  There's rather a lot of stabbings nowadays, don't you find? Hard to keep up. I try to winnow it down by only following stabbings in towns I've been through in the last two years. In 2016 I spoke to some "Syrians" in Kandel, a month or so after passing through Gothenburg en route to dine with my friend Ingrid Carlqvist. On the steps of my hotel, two young bearded chaps were selling copies of the Koran. "Thanks all the same," I said, "but I've already got one."
    Dundalk and Burlington I know rather better. The machete is, of course, a traditional farming implement of northern New England. It's used by plaid-clad Yankee farmers to tap maple trees for their bountiful sap. In hunting season the woods are full of gnarled hardscrabble oldtimers waiting patiently in their tree stands to spy a passing bull moose and then hurl the machete into him, splitting the skull to leave perfect his-and-hers antlers for the master bathroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment